Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Moochers Manor

So it's finally finished! B & M have moved into their new home, Moochers Manor. We found a used book case with display (framed glass) doors that was perfect for the project. We knocked out the glass and Abram attached some coated wire mesh to the doors. We also drilled holes between the levels. Then came the fun part: decorating and accessorizing! This was primarily my job. Each level features custom "carpeting" made from fleece. I attached velcro to the shelf and the fleece so that the boys couldn't pull up the carpet.

Level One: The top level features a big igloo they use for sleeping and hiding snacks. They like to stuff it full of tissue and paper towels as well. There is also a fleece climbing rope and a nice hammock, which for some reason they haven't used much yet. This was their favorite spot in the old cage. Well, maybe someday. I also put in a litter box here, hoping that they'll learn to use it!

Level Two: The middle level connects to the top by way of a wooden ladder and is primarily the "kitchen." I put in food dishes and a water bottle. Another fun feature is a section of pvc pipe they like to sneak around in. I also put in a corner hammock, but I think it's already too small for them.

Level Three: The bottom level is like a rec room. We added a shelf to the side for a step down. I put in a plastic box filled with fleece scraps for digging, a large brick for nail filing, and a slanted fish bowl, for more digging. They love to kick and throw things everywhere down there!

Level Four: We kept the glass in the bottom door, and I use it for storage. (In the photo I hadn't yet put the stuff in there yet). But I keep food, snackies, litter and the second set of "carpet" down there.

The boys are REALLY enjoying the bigger space and are getting a lot more exercise now. A special thank you goes out to the Dapper Rat (http://www.dapper.com.au/index.htm) for their instructions and inspiration with their cage, "The Grotto." Check it out. It's amazing! Now I just wish I could build on to our apartment to make more space for us!! :)





Butters on level 1


Moochie on level 2 (Can you see Butters' nose through the hole up top?)




And Moochie on level 3



4 comments:

Paula said...

What a pad! for the 2 most spoiled rats around. You guys did a great job on the manor and I'm sure the boys appreciate it.

briton said...

"boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, would you look at the house." ("they're in the yard") Great hotel! I only hope my Veruca doesn't want one.

Anonymous said...

They better darn well appreciate it! I've never seen such a unique abode! Personally I would have LOVED to have gotten my hands on that beautiful bookcase! I've been looking for one like that for a lot of years. Did you get it at a 2nd hand store???

Airie said...

Got it through ksl.com. It's the Utah better alternative to craigslist. :)