Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Herman the Vermin

Okay, so don't freak out. Yes, we had (notice past tense...HAD) a mouse in our house. I named him Herman. He destroyed a perfectly good bag of my best bread flour, among other things. Anyhoo, we picked up a catch & release trap, hopeful that we could nab the little turd (and rid our house of his turds...) Abram concocted a fail-proof bait: A Peanut Butter & Rice Krispies Ball. What little mouse could resist that? We woke up this morning to find Herman eating his way straight to PB & RK Heaven...IN the trap. HAZAH! :) We put the trap in a box. I labeled it. (Hey, I'm still in moving mode, okay?) We drove a few miles out of town and introduced Herman to his new life in the fields of Central Montana. To be honest, we figure he'll likely get swooped up by a hawk or an eagle, but oh well! At least we don't have to know about it. I even documented his dramatic (not really) release. It feels great to have a mouse-free house!


3 comments:

Paula said...

Glad to hear of your success, but I wouldn't put the trap away just yet...could be a whole herd of 'em. ("Great kid, don't get cocky.") Dad says catch and release cages must be a lot smaller in Montana. (Herman's a pretty dinky raccoon...even looks small for a squirrel.)

Donette said...

We had a mouse problem when we moved into our house in Stansbury except we got the traps that snaps their little heads off....didn't want to take any chances that they would come back. Hearing those traps snap shut in the laundry room was creepy but effective. Enough about the mouse I want pics of the new house!!!!

Lex-a-roo said...

I got one of the catch and release traps a few months ago. When I first got it I checked it daily but after a few days I forgot about it. I saw your video and was reminded of it and I found a mouse in the trap and well it had passed away. I'm afraid in a worse way than the snapping traps. I cringe thinking of how it starved in the live trap. Lesson learned, but learned too late for the mouse.