Thursday, June 12, 2008

What color are their hands now?

So I've been secretly living the life of a criminal for almost two months now. Unbeknownst to me that is. I can say that it's easy when you're ignorant, but when confronted with one's crimes, all becomes frantic checking of the rear view for cops, coming to a full and complete stop at every 4-way, and driving as slow as the old lady in the Lincoln in front of you in the right lane and being grateful for it.

So what am I REALLY getting at? Well, I happened to notice my driver's license on Wednesday night. Guess what the expiration date was? In case you can't make it out on this crappy scan, the expiration date is 04/14/2008. Yeah. What an unpleasant surprise! And thus followed the over-cautious driving (which is how I ALWAYS drive, Dad ;) ). So bright and early on Thursday morning I nonchalantly stroll into the Provo Driver's License Division, filled out the renewal form and tried to act natural. I really thought I'd have to re-take the written driving test or pay some fine or something. Fortunately, the, shall we say, less than exuberant government worker behind the counter required nothing of the sort. I signed some papers, paid my 25 bucks and gave a dorky smile to the camera. And thus was issued freedom, albeit temporary, from my criminal life. It doesn't compete with Mountain Fuel, but it's "pretty tasty." And yes, the new licenses really are pink like that. Oh goody! So the moral of the story is, keep in mind that your postal forwarding when you move only lasts 6months-ish and the government is not going to make any real effort to notify you that you're about to turn illegal. I'm glad it's all over though. So many bad things (namely, a FAT fine) could have happened!!!

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Hee hee that's funny, the best part was your face when you realized yout license had expired! That was a priceless moment:)

Paula said...

Wish I'd been there to see your face. I can only imagine the feeling in the pit of your stomach at that moment of discovery. I've had a hard time driving on an occasion or two when left my license at home and I can relate to being super-cautious. And now you'll get one of those charming pink licenses that Dad loves. Glad to know you're legal again!

briton said...

nice licenses. grateful to be an oregonian on that one. some classic references in there sis' and i'm sorry about the Mountain Fuel photo putting you all well out of range for any competition.